Scottish rock band Glasvegas mysteriously canceled their debut performance at the Coachella music festival in 2009 reportedly due to their frontman, James Allan, suffering from exhaustion and dehydration.
However, Allan has finally revealed it was, as many speculated, due to a drug overdose.
In a recent interview, he opens up about his drug problems and his accidental overdose, saying:
"I was lost and desperate. We'd played a TV show in L.A. the night before, and I'd taken a lot of coke. Just stupid amounts. Then the day of the festival, I took what I thought was Valium and it turned out to be an animal tranquilizer."
Thankfully, despite the near fatal mix-up, he lived to tell the story and reminisced:
"I was walking off the bus, and I remember this as being almost like a dream, and I fell off the top stair. I couldn't put my hands up to break my fall, and when I hit the ground, it was the most relaxing, comfortable feeling I'd ever felt. Then the lights went out. Next thing I remember was waking up, like, whoosh!, in the dressing room with paramedics standing around me."
His wake up call finally came when he saw the look in his mothers eyes at the hospital, but oddly more stinging was the look in his cats eyes. He explained:
"My mum came into my room (one day) with the cat under her arm and tears in her eyes. That was bad enough, but I'll never forget the cat's face: it was horrible, man… My mum walked in that morning and said that she knew something had been going on, so I sat up in bed and said, 'Look, I need to talk to you. This is the way I've been living for the last year… '"
We hope you have put those drug days behind you, James! You are a talented individual we would hate to lose.
[Image via WENN.]
Tags: animal tranquilizer, canceled, cocaine, dehydration, interview, james allan, music festival, scottish