It's not quite time for your New Year's resolution yet, but with an hour lost in time and winter quickly approaching, it's not a bad idea to start reorganizing your life!
John Trosko, a professional organizer and blogger, is here to offer some simple tips that can not only make your life a little easier, but save you precious time during your busy daily schedule!
Night arrives earlier this week. The change in time signals an hour of less sunlight. This means we’ll all want to find ways do more in less time and cram more into daylight. A great way to gain more time in your home, work and school is to look at your daily routines and find simple ways to improve them.
A routine is something you do the same way every day without ever really thinking about it, it’s just the way you tackle a chore (brush your teeth, make breakfast for the kids, walk the dog). This November, the next two weeks are important to the Thanksgiving holiday. I challenge you to take a look at your daily routines and unearth small subtle ways to improve or add to them. Follow these tips and you’ll squeeze out a bit more time each day. What could you accomplish if you had an extra hour in your day?
- Wash your breakfast dish before leaving for school or work (so you’ll return home to a clean sink);
- Always make your bed as soon as you get out of it;
- Adopt a weekly schedule of filling your gas tank. “I always get gas on Thursday so I am ready to GO for the weekend”;
- Plan for the morning the night before (choose your clothes, unpack and repack your gym or school bag, make lunch);
- Don’t walk the dog; exercise the dog….commit to a specified walk time or distance that is a work-out for the both of you;
- Pack a healthy snack in your work or school bag (so late-day temptation does not make you grab something you know you shouldn’t);
- Use a bowl or hook to hold your keys (so you’ll save a few minutes searching for them);
- Place a recycling receptacle inside the front door for junk mail (don’t let it come past the door);
- Wear shoes in the house (and not slippers) while doing chores (signaling it’s “work” time);
- Store your TV remove in an attractive canister or box or just switch to one Universal device;
- Do it now, or do it later? Tackle projects that will take 2-minutes or less and just do them!
A few simple tweaks to your daily routine can make a big difference. Remind yourself how good you feel when you are more in control. Effective routines mean more “you” time!