This is so sad.
Last month, football player Tyler Sash was found dead at his home in Oskaloosa, Iowa. At the time, police didn't suspect foul play, but the Iowa State Medical Examiner's Office conducted an autopsy to determine his cause of death.
On Tuesday, the examiner announced the results, explaining that the 27-year-old died from "an accidental mixed drug toxicity involving methadone and hydrocodone."
Reports say the two drugs are not only used to relieve pain, but are also highly addictive. According to authorities, Tyler had a prescription for the hydrocodone, but they aren't sure how he had the other narcotic.
The report also showed that some "significant conditions" of his death included the New York Giants safety's history of chronic shoulder pain, as well as a recent shoulder dislocation.
The medical examiner will also be running more tests to figure out whether or not the Super Bowl champion suffered from chronic traumatic encephalopathy, which is a "brain disease caused by repetitive trauma that has been found in several former NFL players."
Officials say these new test results could take eight to ten months, but aren't saying anything else about the exam. In fact, they aren't even releasing where it will happen.
It's always sad to lose someone, especially so young. Our hearts go out to everyone affected by this terrible tragedy.
[Image via AP Images.]