Headaches stink, but are there any other treatment options beyond pill popping your closest pain reliever?
FitPerez reader P.N. from Portland, Oregon has been a long-time sufferer of chronic migraines and wrote to certified nutritional therapy practitioner, Margaux J. Rathbun, for a few natural remedies, asking:
I have been a long-time sufferer of migraine headaches. They are so bad that I literally cannot get out of bed! Do you have any tips that could naturally help relieve or prevent these nasty headaches?
According to Margaux:
Thanks for your question! Prior to becoming a Nutritional Therapist, I used to get migraines all the time. I know how horrible they can be! Many things can trigger a migraine including allergies, constipation, stress, too much or too little sleep, and emotional changes. Here are some tips that should help you with these nasty headaches:
- Include watercress, parsley, fennel, garlic, cherries, and fresh pineapple in your diet. Make sure that you are buying all organic foods to avoid pesticides and other dangerous toxins.
- MSG and nitrites (preservatives found in hot dogs and lunch meats) can trigger a migraine. Stay clear of these types of foods!
- Adopt a diet that is low in simple carbs and high in protein. Try eating beans (soak dried beans overnight), chia seeds, and flax seeds.
-Limit your consumption of alcohol and be sure you are always staying hydrated with good quality water.
- Music has a calming effect and can help to relieve migraines. You could turn on some nice classical music, close your eyes, and breathe deeply.
- Get regular exercise. Go for a nice morning walk!
- Adding coconut oil to your daily diet can not only help prevent headaches but it has been shown to improve brain performance. Try a spoonful of this oil first thing in the morning.
- Acupuncture and acupressure have helped many people control the pain of a migraine. Consult with your local natural health practitioner for more information.
For more nutrition tips, check out Margaux's website and write Tips@FitPerez.com with any questions for her!