Taking a pet on vaca this summer?
Here are the top 5 tips to make sure that both you and your dog are invited back:
1. Don't leave your dog alone.
Leaving a dog alone in a strange place invites serious trouble. Scared, nervous dogs may tear apart drapes, carpeting, and furniture. They might also bark nonstop and scare the daylights out of the housekeeper.
2. Bring only a housetrained dog to a hotel.
How would you like a house guest to go to the bathroom in the middle of your bedroom?
3. Don't wash your dog in the hotel tub.
"It's very yucky," we heard from a motel manager who has seen so many furry tubs that she's thinking about banning dogs.
4. Bring your own food and water bowls, or request special bowls.
Refrain from using the ice bucket as a water or food bowl. Bring your own bowls, or stay in a hotel that provides them, as many of the nicer ones do these days.
5. Don't try to sneak your dog into a hotel.
It's better to avoid feeling like a criminal and move on to a more dog-friendly location. With the number of lodgings that welcome dogs these days, you won't have to go far.
[Image via WENN.]