In preparation for the Royal Wedding, make some delicious vegan scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam!
Yield: 6 scones
– 1 cup spelt flour
– 1 cup oat flour (I processed 1 cup rolled oats in food processor until flour consistency was achieved)
– 1/4 cup sugar (I used Sucanat)
– 1/2 tsp kosher salt
– 2 tsp baking powder
– 1/2 tsp baking soda
– 1/4 cup light-tasting extra virgin olive oil (or canola oil)
– 1/4 cup vanilla soy yogurt (I used unsweetened but you can use sweetened too)
– 3-4 tbsp non-dairy milk (I used 3 tbsp)
– 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
– 1/3 cup frozen blueberries (or fresh)
– Turbinado sugar, for garnish
– Clotted cream: 2 tbsp Earth Balance, 1/4 cup vegan cream cheese, 3 tbsp powdered icing sugar
– Strawberry jam, to top
1. Preheat oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. With a food processor, process 1 cup of rolled oats until a flour consistency is achieved. It is ok if it remains a bit coarse. In a large bowl, whisk together the spelt flour, oat flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add in the oil and mix with hands until just crumbly. Do not overmix.
2. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the soy yogurt, vanilla, and non-dairy milk. Add this wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir until just combined. If dough is too dry, add another tablespoon of milk. Remove blueberries from freezer (unless using fresh) and stir gently into the batter until just mixed. Be careful not to overmix or they will bleed.
3. Spoon about 1/4 cup batter per scone onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving about 3 inches in between each. Sprinkle with coarse sugar and bake for about 21-22 minutes at 375F until slightly golden in colour.
4. Meanwhile, make your vegan clotted cream by whisking together 2 tbsp Earth Balance, 1/4 cup vegan cream cheese, and 3 tbsp powdered icing sugar. It will take some elbow grease, so keep whisking until a smooth cream forms. Store in fridge until ready to use.
5. After scones have cooled for about 5 minutes, place on plates, top with about 2 tbsp of clotted cream and a dollop of strawberry jam. Serve scones warm with a cup of Black tea.
[Image via Oh She Glows.]