This is truly tragic.
Over the weekend, a three-year-old girl died after choking on the toy that came inside the Kinder Surprise chocolate egg she was eating.
A prosecutor confirmed the French toddler's death on Wednesday.
The child's mother — who was with her daughter at the time — said that when the little one was eating the sweet, she accidentally swallowed a plastic wheel that broke off the toy which was in the egg.
Related: Parents Let Sick Daughter Choose 'Heaven'
The lawyer said:
"The child's grandfather arrived quickly and managed to extract the object."
However, the girl sadly went into a coma and died on Saturday. The autopsy confirmed she passed away from "mechanical asphyxiation."
A warning on the treat's packaging explains they shouldn't be consumed by children ages 3 and under.
30 billion eggs — made by Italian company Ferrero — have been sold across the globe, containing one of 8,000 different kinds of surprises inside.
Those sales have never taken place in the US, since the country has very strict laws about toys being hidden in candy, but the company's website stresses that safety is a top priority, writing:
Tags: food, francophilia, kinder surprise, r.i.p., sad sad, toys, viral: kids, viral: news