No more Blue Moons and Purple Horseshoes?!
On Monday, General Mills announced that it will remove all artificial colors and flavors from its cereals!
Beginning with popular cereals like Trix, Cocoa Puffs and Reese's Puffs, the cereal titan expects 90 percent of its cereal to go natural by the end of 2016, and the remaining 10 percent to be free of artificial colors and flavors by 2017!
[ Related: Ryan McHenry's Final Vine Of Ryan Gosling Refusing To Eat Cereal Is AH-Mazing ]
This decision seems to be following the trend that customers have been growing wary of processed foods, resulting in many food companies systematically ridding their products of ingredients that don't look natural.
Jim Murphy, president of General Mills U.S. cereal business, explained that customers don't want labels full of "colors with numbers and ingredients you can't pronounce." He explained:
"Consumers increasingly want the ingredient list for their cereal to look like what they pull out of their pantry."
We can expect colors like Red 40, Yellow 6, Blue 1 and other artificial dyes common in some cereals to be replaced by colors made from spices and fruit and vegetable juice concentrates!
[ Related: Diet Pepsi Will Soon Be Aspartame-Free! ]
Though removing artificial flavors isn't that easy for certain marshmallow-filled cereals like Lucky Charms and Count Chocula. Marshmallows are more difficult to reformulate the colors without changing the taste, texture, and appearance!
Let's hope the cereal company can keep their products just as colorful and tasty without any artificial ingredients.
If not, those kids might not be after those Lucky Charms for long!
[Image via General Mills.]
Tags: cocoa puffs, food, general mills, health, ingredients, jim murphy, lucky charms, reese's puffs, stuff 4 kidz, trip