So not cool.
According to the American Kennel Club, dog theft is on the rise, with an increase of 32% just this past year.
Dog thieves have been known to steal from people's homes, cars, even their front yards. They later turn around and sell them for profit, especially large breeds such as pit bulls.
AKC spokeswoman Lisa Peterson says, "I've even seen some taken out of a child's arms on a park bench."
The AKC has tips on how to keep your dogs safe:
- Don't leave your dog unattended. Preferably keep them by yours ide on a leash if they're in your yard.
- Breeders should be aware of thieves who pose as potential puppy buyers.
- Never leave your dog unattended in a car. EVER.
- Never leave your dog unattended outside a store. Even if they are on a leash.
- Microchip your dog.
- "Be vigilant." Always be aware of your surroundings and rely on your instincts.
Very informative tips. Just remember to always keep your eye on your dog and if you see anything suspicious to contact local authorities.
[Image via WENN.]