Even though it's a great victory for animal rights activists, the California ban on foie gras only affects a small group.
Foie gras is not a widely popular dish, so there are certain foods that are much more popular and still cruel, making the effects of us eating them much more widespread.
The foods are:
1. Blue Fin Tuna - One of the most overfished sea creatures and a more popular food than foie fras.
2. Shark Fins - This has actually just recently been banned. Sharks are caught, their fins cut off and then they are dumped back into the ocean to die.
3. Palm Oil - Harvested from palm trees, this can lead to the destruction of rainforests and ruining of the habitats of the animals that live there.
4. Farmed Salmon - Not only is it awful when a creature is kept confined and mass bred but farmed salmon can have sea lice and other diseases.
5. Chocolate/Coffee - Not all chocolate and coffee is cruel, just the kind that comes from regions that use child slavery.
6. Feedlot Beef - Raising these animals as if they were just products, not living creatures, is appalling. They are often in tight conditions, methane builds ups (from the animals) can cause pollution and diseases like E. coli can spread.
7. Junk Food Marketed Directly To Children - With childhood obesity rates on the rise, the last thing we need is junk food being flung at our children.
8. Factory-Farmed Chicken - Large scale chicken farms can even be worse than the feedlot beef factories, with some chickens never actually moving outside of their cages.
So even though the foie gras battle is won, the animal cruelty war is far from over.
[Image via AP Images.]