This is totes cray cray but absolutely true!
A New Zealnader, Kim Edwards, had to rush her cat Rory to the vet after he ate a bunch of rat poison!
Oh no! That can't be good!
When they got to the vet, Kim was told her kitty needed an immediate blood transfusion or he'd die.
Only problem was, there was no time to send a blood sample to the lab to determine his blood type!
So the vet did something crazy… they called their friend and got a hold of their black Labrador retriever, Maci.
They took some of Maci's blood and gave it to Rory, hoping it was the right blood type, otherwise Rory would instantly die.
The vet said:
"People are going to think it sounds pretty dodgy – and it is – but hey, we've been successful and it's saved its life."
The thing is, with interspecies blood, if there's a problem, it would take five days before the cat's body reacted badly.
So they had time to find a new donor kitty with a matching blood type.
Cats don't naturally have antibodies for dog blood, so the chances of them having a fatal immune response are very slim.
So they did the transfusion and… Rory was totally fine!!
Rory's owner said:
"Rory is back to normal and we don't have a cat that barks or fetch the paper."
Ha! That's ahmayzing! Dog blood saved a cat!
Thank goodness for that quick thinking vet, willing to try a crazy procedure to save a cat's life.
[Image via Joel Ford/New Zealand Herald.]
Tags: blood, cat, cats, crazy, dog, fetch, health, kitty, life, poison, procedure, saved, vet