This breaks our hearts!
So, so sad!
The actor took to Instagram on Tuesday to announce the very tough decision. He shared:
“At approximately 11:15pm last night myself and @laurenhashianofficial had to make the painful decision to end Brutus’ suffering by taking him off of life support and sending his soul to pup heaven. I held his lil’ paw as he was finally at peace. As all puppies and dogs do, he ate a mushroom while playing outside with his brother Hobbs. This mushroom happened to have a lethal toxicity and within hours it was rapidly destroying his liver and immune system to the point of no return.”
We first learned that Brutus was sick two weeks ago, when The Rock snapped a pic from the vet:
First I save this lil’ zombie Brutus’ life from drowning in the pool, now he decides to get all sick on me and having that awesome “north/south” action coming out of both ends of his body. Fun night. Thank you to the animal Dr’s and nurses at St. Francis Emergency Animal Hospital for taking care of our gremlin. He’ll be back in no time wrestling and biting the shit outta my hands and happily peeing on my Jordan’s. #LetsGetYouHomeBigBoy #ThisPupsHadACrazy72Hrs #HesAlreadyTougherThanA2DollarSteakA photo posted by therock (@therock) on Sep 8, 2015 at 10:25pm PDT
Sounds like Bru had quite the personality and lived a life
peeing everywhere full of adventure!! We will miss seeing this cute little guy!
Dwayne ended his tribute to his furry friend with a reminder for everyone to consider for their pets:
“I encourage all of you out there to be mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks or anywhere outside your dogs play. What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil’ family members. Thank you Dr. Deckelbaum and Dr. West and the incredibly caring nurses and staff at The Animal Medical Center At Cooper City. We’ll always love you Brutus.. and you’ll always be my lil’ main man and rough housing Brute.”
Our thoughts are with Dwayne and of course Brutus’ brother, Hobbs!!
[Image via Instagram.]