Say it ain’t so, Chipotle!
The burrito chain is coming under tough times recently, after having been linked a few weeks ago to a mysterious E. coli outbreak in Oregon — and now, things are bad in Boston, too!
There are now 80 students at Boston College who are experiencing serious stomach systems — including most of the college’s men’s basketball team — and they all have one thing in common: they ate at the same Chipotle!
The Mexican food giant was forced to shut down their location near the college after the reports, when Boston city health officials found that the cooked chicken was being stored at far too low a temperature on site and an employee was found to be sick while at work.
Chris Arnold, a spokesman for Chipotle, told reporters that officials were sure this instance had to do with norovirus — a stomach bug — rather than the E. coli outbreak other Chipotles have experienced:
“Health officials in Boston believe this is likely a norovirus, which seems consistent with the pattern, in our estimation.”
Students have been tested for both E. coli and norovirus, though the results won’t come back for several days.
That distinction won’t make much of a difference for 80 college kids now dealing with some painful health issues, though — and the multiple health issues around the country at various Chipotle restaurants are now causing the burrito joint’s stock value to free fall, too!
Damn, Chipotle! Can’t you just be safe again?!
[Image via Chipotle/Twitter.]