Ryan Reynolds‘ Deadpool opened this weekend and had no trouble SLAYING its competition!
While the Merc with a Mouth was up against both Zoolander 2 and How to Be Single, the Marvel hero basically embarrassed the hell out of the other flicks as it ended up taking in $135 MILLION this weekend!
Not only that, but the raunchy hero movie is estimated to take in a total of $150 million over the four-day holiday weekend.
That’s absolutely AH-Mazing seeing as how FOX‘s earliest predictions had the comic book flick pulling in somewhere around $65 mil.
If that’s not enough, Deadpool also set a TON of records as it became the biggest February opening weekend ever and destroyed Fifty Shades of Grey‘s previous President’s Day weekend record for $85.2 million over three days and $93 million over four.
The anti-hero broke several other records in the process, including:
– Largest February Thursday Preview: $12.7 million Previous record: $8.6 million (Fifty Shades of Grey)
– Largest Opening Day in February: $47.5 million (estimated) Previous record: $30.2 million (Fifty Shades of Grey)
– Largest Single Day in February: $47.5 million on Friday (estimated) Previous record: $36.7 million on 2/14/15 (Fifty Shades of Grey)
– Largest R-Rated Opening Weekend: $135 million (estimated) Previous record: $91.7 million (The Matrix Reloaded)
– Largest R-Rated Comic Adaptation Opening Weekend: $135 million (estimated) Previous record: $70.8 million (300)
– Largest Winter Season Opening Weekend: $135 million (estimated) Previous record: $89.2 million (American Sniper)
– Largest Opening Ever for 20th Century Fox: $135 million (estimated) Previous record: $108.4 million (Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith)
– Largest opening for a first time director — Tim Miller
Talk about a KILLER weekend!
Of course Ryan has been making the rounds to help promote the film and has been on top of his social media game ahead of Deadpool‘s release, so it comes as no surprise that he made sure to thank the fans for the movie’s massive success!
The 39-year-old took to Twitter to share:
That isn’t pavement he’s walking on. It’s sunshine. Thanks to the #deadpool fans who carried us the whole way. #├░┼╕ΓÇÖΓé¼├░┼╕ΓÇÖ┬⌐L pic.twitter.com/CQJhQL4tK8
├óΓé¼ΓÇ¥ Ryan Reynolds (@VancityReynolds) February 14, 2016
Unfortunately, other flicks that opened this weekend didn’t fare as well. Dakota Johnson and Rebel Wilson‘s comedy How To Be Single opened to $18.8 million over three days and $21 million over four, hitting the low end of studio estimates.
Ch-ch-check out the rest of the box office results (below) to see how much the other movies pulled in:
1). Deadpool 3-day cume: $135M /4-day: $150M
2). Kung Fu Panda 3 3-day cume: $19.65M /4-day: $26M
3). How To Be Single 3-day cume: $18.75M /4-day: $20.7M
4). Zoolander 2 3-day cume: $15.65M /4-day: $18M
5). The Revenant 3-day cume: $6.9M /4-day: $8.1M
6). Hail, Caesar! 3-day cume: $6.6M (-42%) /4-day: $7.5M
7). Star Wars: The Force Awakens 3-day cume: $6.2M (-11%)/4-day: $7.55M
8). The Choice 3-day cume: $5.25M (-13%)/4-day: $6M
9). Ride Along 2 3-day cume: $4.1M (-9%) /4-day: $4.8M
10). The Boy 3-day cume: $2.9M (-29%) /4-day: $3.3M