No one works in the media to make friends!
Earlier this week, Hulk Hogan was awarded $115 million in his trial against Gawker Media, who the WWE star sued for posting a sex tape of him and his former best friend’s wife.
In addition to Hogan (born Terry Bollea)’s compensatory damages, the Florida jury added $25.1 million in punitive damages as they believed that the controversial site broke the law.
The jurors had strong words for the site’s founder Nick Denton, who they believed never showed any signs of remorse during the trial — and according to Denton, the jury was absolutely right!
In an interview with ABC News on Thursday, the founder was unapologetic about posting the controversial story, because he deemed the material “newsworthy” — and said he would do it again!
“No, you know what, I don’t [have regrets]. We didn’t post the sex tape. We posted nine seconds of sexual activity in an excerpt of a much, much longer tape…I believe it was newsworthy. Those judges agreed it was newsworthy and so it is a story we would do again.”
Denton also said he believes the trial isn’t so much about privacy, but more so about “publicity versus the free press,” adding:
“[Hogan] was joking about this tape. He didn’t like the story that we wrote. That’s his right…It’s the right of the jury not to like the story that we wrote, but it’s a free press and in this country people are allowed to write what they want and people are allowed to read what they want.”
Ch-ch-check out Denton’s full interview (below) and see if you agree with anything he says!
[Image via ABC News.]