UPDATE 10:07 PM EST: The Associated Press reports that France President Francois Hollande says at least 77 people have been killed in the horrific attack, and is calling it an act of “terrorist character.”
This is so horrific.
On Thursday, a large truck plowed into a crowd of people in the French city of Nice, killing at least 73 and injuring 100 others, according to police.
The large group had gathered in the French Riviera town to watch the fireworks on Bastille Day, the nation’s largest public holiday.
When the crowd filled the streets, the truck slammed into the people celebrating the big day on Nice’s Promenade des Anglais, in what authorities are calling a terror attack.
City official Christian Estrosi took to Twitter to warn residents to stay indoors, possibly out of fear of another attack:
“Dear Nice residents, the driver of a truck appears to have caused tens of deaths. Stay for the moment in your homes. More info to come.”
Witnesses say they heard gunfire, and photos from the scene show the police had repeatedly shot at the windshield, but it’s unclear whether or not anyone in the truck had opened fire as well.
French authorities say their bullets killed the driver, but claim another man fled the vehicle and is still on the run.
American lawyer Eric Dartell, who was on vacation with his wife, recounted the scary scene to NBC News:
“We started running for cover. People started jumping from promenade level onto the beach. A guy jumped on my wife. We took shelter with 200 or more people in an area under the promenade. People were in crowded toilet stalls. This is shocking.”
He also told CNN:
“You can see wreckage all along the way, a body, bicycles, street lamps and debris everywhere.”
So far, no one has claimed responsibility for the tragic assault.
Our hearts are with everyone affected by this devastating attack.
[Image via Getty Images.]