The former dealer who claims to have been Prince‘s source for drugs for decades thinks the late singer knew exactly what pills he was taking when he died back in April.
In fact, the man who wishes to be called Doctor D says the Purple Rain artist would often buy powerful opiates concealed in mislabeled bottles in order to hide his addiction, according to DailyMail.
As you know, the music icon was found dead in an elevator at his Paisley Park estate in Minnesota and an autopsy later confirmed that he had overdosed on a drug called fentanyl. This week we found out the pills seized from the Raspberry Beret singer’s home were labeled as hydrocodone but were actually fentanyl on the inside. To make matters worse, it’s said Prince stashed the counterfeit drugs in over the counter pill bottles, such as aspirin and Vitamin C containers.
The mislabeling led authorities to question whether the 57-year-old knew exactly what he was taking.
But according to Doctor D — who previously opened up about Prince’s expensive and ultimately-fatal addiction — the songwriter may not have intentionally overdosed, but he knew the contents of the drugs:
“The mix of hydrocodone and fentanyl is not something that happens by mistake, it’s a combination that a dealer can make up for his client. Hydrocodone is Vicodin and it’s nowhere near as powerful as fentanyl, it won’t do jack sh*t on its own. Prince will have been aware of the mix. If there was a pill with fentanyl in it then he had to have had it made up and he knew 100%. It would have been a special recipe, you can only get fentanyl in a patch or powder so someone will have had to have made the pills up for him.”
“There’s no way he overdosed on purpose, yes he may have taken too much by mistake but there’s got to be a reason behind it. Maybe he wasn’t used to taking fentanyl in pill form, I used to see him sometimes lick the stuff off the patch and I’ve seen him smoke it. Or maybe the dealer put too much fentanyl in each pill, it’s difficult to know, but I’m convinced Prince knew he was taking fentanyl because it’s a drug he has used many many times before.”
No word yet on if someone will be prosecuted for the death of the singer, but we will keep you updated as the case progresses.
[Image via Getty Images.]