This is terrifying!
On Tuesday night, violent protests broke out after a police officer in Charlotte, North Carolina shot and killed a black man they claim was armed, though the man’s alleged daughter says differently.
People were enraged after 43-year-old Keith Lamont Scott was shot and killed in an apartment complex by a black officer, Brentley Vinson, from Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department on Tuesday.
Authorities were looking for a man with an outstanding warrant when they approached Scott, who was sitting in a vehicle in the parking lot of the University of North Carolina, on Tuesday afternoon.
Police claim Keith, who wasn’t the man they were looking for, exited his vehicle holding a “firearm,” and then got back in the car. Officers approached and said the victim stepped out of the car again with a firearm and “posed an imminent deadly threat to the officers who subsequently fired their weapon striking the subject.”
Though this report may not be 100% true as a woman who claims to be Keith’s daughter says he was UNARMED and only holding a book! Not only that, but she claims her dad was just waiting for a school bus to drop off his son when officers tasered him and shot him FOUR times! Oh, and the grieving girl has also said Mr. Scott was disabled!
After the shooting, the victim was taken to Carolinas Medical Center where he was pronounced dead. This of course comes only days after another controversial shooting in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
Of course, since then, police have said they found the firearm Scott was holding during the shooting, but have not commented on the make or model of the weapon.
After the fatality, a crowd gathered near the scene in what started as a peaceful protest over the shooting. After some groups of people started chanting “Black lives matter,” and “Hands up, don’t shoot,” things got out of control as reports came in that some members of the crowd taunted officers, destroyed marked police vehicles, and threw rocks! As a result, 12 officers were injured with one being hit in the face by a rock!
By Wednesday morning, the protesters had shut down Interstate-85 and some had started to raid vehicles and pull out boxes to set them on fire in the middle of the road! One truck driver even told WSOC-TV that people stole cargo from her trailer!
Thankfully, by a bit later Wednesday morning, police had been able to disperse the crowd with the help of flash grenades.
The Mayor of Charlotte, Jennifer Roberts, has since said the city will conduct a “full investigation” into the shooting.