Whoever smelt it dealt… with a life threatening situation.
A patient was badly burnt during a surgical procedure at the Tokyo Medical University Hospital in a fire — that was sparked by her fart.
According to Japanese newspaper Asahi Shimbun, the fire occurred in the Tokyo hospital on April 15, but the bizarre details recently surfaced after an investigation on the case.
The patient, described only as a woman in her 30s, was undergoing an operation which involved applying a laser to her cervix — the lower part of the uterus.
Investigators believe the laser was ignited by gas passed by the patient, setting flames to a surgical drape. This caused a fire that burnt much of the patient’s body, including her waist and legs.
A committee of experts who examined the case said in a recently released report that no flammable materials were in the operation room during the surgery. The report read:
“When the patient’s intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation (room), it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire.”
The report also stated that the operation equipment was functioning normally, leaving unfortunately timed flatulence as the culprit behind this scary incident.
So if you’re ever getting laser surgery anywhere near your back door — be careful what you eat beforehand.
Stay safe, everyone!
[Image via Tokyo Medical University Hospital.]