Evan Rachel Wood isn’t afraid to speak out!
As you may recall, the Westworld star revealed in an email to Rolling Stone that she was a two-time survivor of rape. However the magazine only published a portion of the note, so in the name of transparency, the industry vet took to Twitter on Monday to share her email in its entirety.
As the mag noted, Miz Wood opened up to them via email after she had already conducted a pretty personal interview. In fact, the mother-of-one spoke out about her traumatizing experiences just one day after Donald Trump was elected president. We can only imagine the shocking election inspired the 29-year-old to get candid about her past.
Be sure to take a look at the True Blood alum’s powerful letter for yourself (below)!
Well, since everything is out in the open now, figured I would share the confession letter I wrote to @RollingStone in its entirety. #NotOk pic.twitter.com/0FSP1gsE36
├óΓé¼ΓÇ¥ #EvanRachelWould (@evanrachelwood) November 28, 2016
In case you’re having trouble reading the note, Jamie Bell‘s ex wrote:
“I started questioning my reasons for staying vague about my experiences as a girl growing up in America. I think, like a lot of women, I had the urge to not make it a sob story, to not make it about me. ‘I didn’t have to confirm what happened, what mattered is that sh*t happened. Bad. Sh*t. That still affects me to this day.
I think deep down, I also didn’t want to be accused of doing it for attention, or told it wasn’t a big deal, or ‘that’s not really rape’. I will not be ashamed. I will also not project some false idea of being completely over it because ‘I am so strong.’ I don’t believe we live in a time where people can stay silent any longer. I certainly can’t.
Not given the state our world is in with its blatant bigotry and sexism. It should be talked about because it’s swept under the rug as nothing and I will not accept this as ‘normal’. It’s a serious problem. I am still standing. I am alive. I am happy. I am strong. But I am still not ok.”
Well said. She continued:
“I think it’s important for people to know that, for survivors to own that, and that the pressure to just get over it already, should be lifted. It will remind people of the damage that has been done and how the trauma of a few minutes can turn into a lifetime of fighting for yourself. It’s not that you can’t get over it, it’s just that you are never the same, or maybe I just haven’t gotten there yet.
So to answer your blunt question bluntly, yes. I have been raped. By a significant other while we were together, and on a separate occasion, by the owner of a bar. The first time I was unsure that if it was done by a partner it was still in fact rape, until too late. Also who would believe me. And the second time, I thought it was my fault and that I should have fought back more, but I was scared. This was many many years ago and I of course know now neither one was my fault and neither one was ok. This was all before I tried to commit suicide and I am sure was one of the many factors. There you have it.”
Intense stuff. After already sharing so much with her fans, we honestly are blown away by the Thirteen actress’ candor. Bravo!
[Image via Nicky Nelson/WENN.]