UPDATE 4:05 P.M. EST: Broward County commissioner Chip LaMarca — who had been briefed on the case by the Broward Sheriff’s office — told the Associated Press that the suspect had stored the gun in a checked bag.
“After he claimed his bag, he went into the bathroom and loaded the gun and started shooting. We don’t know why.”
He clarified the shooter was a passenger on a Canadian flight. If all of this is accurate, it seems the shooter broke no laws whatsoever until pulling the trigger.
UPDATE 3:01 P.M. EST: At 2:33 p.m. EST TSA took toTwitter to share “Active shooter at #FLL. Shelter in place. Airport closed.” Both TSA and NBC are reporting this is a separate incident and shooter from the man who shot and killed at least five people.
UPDATE 2:49 P.M. EST: Sen. Bill Nelson of Florida said on MSNBC that the alleged shooter was named Esteban Santiago and mentioned he was carrying military ID, according to the Miami Herald.
On Friday, police responded to a shooting at Fort Lauderdale├óΓé¼ΓÇ£Hollywood International Airport where NBC News reports someone opened fire.
The Broward County Sheriff’s Office has confirmed “multiple” people killed. The latest reported numbers have at least 5 dead and at least 13 shot people in total.
The victims were shot at the baggage claim inside Terminal 2.
It’s also being reported that only one individual was responsible for the shooting, and that he did not breach the secure TSA areas. The shooter is reportedly in custody.
The airport has temporarily suspended all services. Miami International Airport has also beefed up security in case this turns out not to be an isolated incident.
We’ll keep you posted as we hear more from this developing story…
[Image via NBC News.]