ABC Confirms The Return Of American Idol & Twitter Responds Like An Unimpressed Simon Cowell

no title

You might occasionally look around and wonder what’s been missing from your life.

Well, according to ABC, the answer to that is: another primetime network singing competition to commit yourself to!

Of course, the Disney-owned network isn’t offering just any singing competition for viewers to enjoy next season… it’s bringing back the OG!

That’s right, ladies and gentlemen. This… is American Idol — REBOOTED.

Video: Worst American Idol Auditions Of All Time!

ABC confirmed it was rebooting the popular singing competition series on Tuesday morning after weeks of a bidding war with NBC and Fox.

Judges and a premiere date would be announced at a later date, but there’s already talk of Ryan Seacrest somehow returning as host in addition to his new gig as Kelly Ripa‘s Live cohost.

Seacrest said he and the network hadn’t “gotten that far” yet in terms of striking a deal, explaining on Monday’s Live with Kelly & Ryan (also conveniently on ABC!):

“I had no idea it was being talked about to come here until late last week I heard a rumor in the news and made a phone call, and they said, ├óΓé¼╦£Yeah, it may actually end up here.’ And I said, ├óΓé¼╦£Well, that’s kind of good to know since I work here…’ I don’t know if I can host it├óΓé¼┬ª”

Sources say “there have been no formal discussions with Ryan about his involvement.” But social media has another question in mind: did anyone actually want an Idol encore?

Fans on Twitter weren’t particularly excited over the big announcement, and responded like a bemused Simon Cowell being forced to sit through yet another train wreck of an audition. *Sips coke, delivers side-eye*

See the not-so-enthusiastic reactions to the return of Idol (below)!

Yikes! Maybe Seacrest should stay away from this reboot after all.

[Image via FOX.]

May 9, 2017 10:23am PDT

Related Posts

More Like This