Chris Cornell’s Wife Recounts The Final Moments Before His Death

Vicky Cornell recounts Chris's last moments.

This story keeps getting worse.

Following news that Chris Cornell reportedly had fresh track marks in his arm when he was found dead on May 17, comes his wife Vicky Cornell‘s account of his last few minutes alive.

Related: Vicky Pens Touching Letter To Chris

TMZ reports that Vicky told friends and family she last spoke to Chris thirty minutes before he was found dead in his hotel room. She said that right before she called her husband that night, the lights were flickering on and off in her house. Apparently Chris could control the lights from his cell phone.

When Vicky called, she asked the 52-year-old if he had been manipulating the lighting, but he denied it, saying he had only done so an hour earlier. Vicky immediately sensed something was off because he had been onstage an hour ago. She became more worried when Chris began slurring his words. He reportedly was angry at his crew, saying, “They f***ed up again. They had three days to fix my in-ears and I was getting static. I couldn’t hear.”

He also complained “I blew my voice. I blew my voice,” before changing the subject and sounding nonsensical. Vicky became alarmed and said, “I need to know what you took tonight. You don’t sound right, sweetheart.” He replied, “I was really angry and I just took two Ativan. I’m really pissed and I had to calm myself down.”

Vicky replied to that with, “I need to know what you took. It doesn’t sound like two Ativan. It sounds like you took something else. You need to tell me now what you took. I forgive you.” At this point, Chris’ attitude changed and he became “cocky and aggressive,” which reminded Vicky of the time he was on Oxycontin fourteen years ago and almost died.

When Chris changed the subject again and sounded more incoherent, Vicky immediately phoned his bodyguard to check up on him. She says she had never done that during their fourteen years together. Vicky told the bodyguard to knock down the door if he had to.

The bodyguard was able to knock down the first door but not the second, at which point Vicky contacted the hotel to get them to open the second door. She was screaming that he was having a heart attack. She was also still on the phone with the bodyguard when he finally knocked down the second door and found Chris’ body. It took thirty minutes from the time she talked to Chris to the moment the bodyguard found him.

As for reports of fresh track marks on Chris’ arm, Vicky disputes that, saying she never saw him use needles, and that only a few days before, he was in New York with her and there were no marks on him.

[Image via WENN.]

May 26, 2017 10:29am PDT

More Like This