Tiffany Haddish is such an inspiration.
For her new memoir, titled The Last Black Unicorn, the Girls Trip star detailed the many hardships she went under prior to finding fame and fortune. What a journey!!
Haddish certainly had a rough upbringing as she was abused by her mother and was molested while in the foster care system. Later on, Tiffany became a victim of domestic abuse at the hands of her ex-husband. Like we said, the 38-year-old comedienne has certainly overcome quite a bit.
Here are some of the most shocking revelations from The Last Black Unicorn…
1. The South Los Angeles native has opened up about the abuse she suffered from her mother. According to Haddish, her mom received a head injury in a car accident and was never truly the same after the incident. The abuse first started with verbal insults, with Tiffany’s mother calling her ugly and saying she hated the youngster.
By age nine, Tiffany’s mother started beating her. Haddish and her siblings were placed in the foster care system for the first time after her mom got into an altercation with a neighbor. Apparently, Haddish’s momma hit the male neighbor with a two-by-four, and also accidentally hit his baby. After being place on an involuntary 5150 hold, doctors diagnosed the matriarch with schizophrenia. Eventually, she was admitted to a state mental facility.
2. Tiffany spent time in foster care between the ages of 13 and 18. During her time in the system, Tiffany experienced physical, emotional, and sexual abuse. Specifically, the father of her foster mom offered to suck on her breasts to help them grow. She was only 13 at the time. It’s said he made the offer after he caught her stuffing toilet paper in her training bra. The man performed the inappropriate act everyday for 15 minutes before heading to school.
Sadly, Haddish didn’t realize she was assaulted until she was around 19. She wrote:
“In my mind, ‘molested’ meant somebody hurt you in some kind of way. Like, they took something from you that you didn’t want to give. And what the old man did never hurt. It didn’t necessarily feel good, either, it was just whatever. And he never tried nothing else with me, not even once. It was just like├óΓé¼ΓÇ¥in my mind├óΓé¼ΓÇ¥he was helping me out.”
3. Tiffany survived an abusive relationship with her ex husband. Although Haddish’s former flame was jealous and physically violent, the pair married and divorced twice. Still, things escalated so badly between the two that Tiffany once went to a police station and told the cops:
“Y’all need to lock me up, because I’m about to kill my husband.”
Thankfully, the police officers saw her bruises and called her an ambulance. They then arrested Tiffany’s ex.
The next day, Tiffany suffered from a miscarriage. Haddish was unaware that she was pregnant at the time of the miscarriage.
4. Revenge is a dish best served hot. Dooky hot. The up-and-comer got revenge on one ex who cheated on her by crapping in his Air Jordans. She then gave the shoes back to the ex boyfriend. To make things juicer, the unnamed ex also made a sex tape with his mistress.
In order to get revenge on both of the participants, Haddish had a bootlegger splice together footage from the sex tape with Charlie’s Angels VHS tapes — and then sent the doctored tapes to his family members.
5. Tiffany’s quick wit is a sign of her intelligence. However, until the ninth grade, Tiffany was essentially illiterate. Despite having a first or second grade reading level, Tiffany took AP courses in school. Haddish finally properly learned how to read and write after a teacher discovered her plight and started giving her private lessons.
6. In her early twenties, Tiffany faced an unplanned pregnancy while dating a man. The actress chose to abort the child as she didn’t want this man’s baby AND didn’t feel ready to become a mother in general. Although she felt awful about the abortion, she decided she’d “rather go to hell and die without a baby on Earth, suffering, than have a baby here on Earth that suffered.” Fair enough.
After undergoing the abortion, Haddish penned that she jumped out of the bed and started to dance. She also shouted:
“I’m free!! I’m free!! Thank God almighty, I am free!”
Intense stuff. Be sure to snag a copy of The Last Black Unicorn for yourself as it’s on bookshelves now!
[Image via WENN.]