We are in the midst of a cruel humanitarian crisis. And since President Donald Trump won’t do anything to help, we must mobilize into action!
As you know, children are being forcibly separated from their families by the thousands as a result of the Trump administration’s “zero tolerance” policy, which was announced back in May. Just a reminder that if POTUS actually wanted to help these kids from being ripped from their parents, he could. He could sign an executive order to end this immoral policy or rally Republicans to actually vote for legislation that ends it. But nope.
So here we are. Fighting to not be defined by Trump’s image of America.
With that said… if you’re anything like us, you might be feeling helpless in the face of such travesty. We’ve compiled a list of resources (below) you can use to take action RIGHT NOW. The children are depending on us.
1. Call your reps. We can’t emphasize this one enough. You can find out who represents you in Congress HERE and also learn what to say when you call with this easy script from the ACLU HERE. Further, you can ask your Senator to sign on to co-sponsor S.3036, a bill that would make it illegal to take children from parents at the border.
2. Organizations like Families Belong Together and Indivisible have been putting together rallies around the country. Ch-ch-check to see if there’s one near you HERE.
3. The Texas Civil Rights Project is looking for volunteers, especially those who speak Spanish.
4. The Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services (RAICES) is the largest immigration nonprofit in Texas that provides free and low-cost legal services to under-served immigrants. This is a great organization to donate your money to if you don’t have time to spare. Learn more HERE.
5. The Young Center for Immigrant Children’s Rights advocates for many of the separated and unaccompanied children.
6. You can send handwritten letters of welcome and comfort (in English or Spanish) and/or teddy bears to the detained children by July 4th to: