This bunny has been freed from her prison of nastness!
200 rabbits were taken from the Bell Farms after authorities found the rabbits in “inhumane and cruel” conditions. 59-year-old Debe Bell now faces 25 counts of misdemeanor animal cruelty.
Here's a list of the shocking conditions from Jefferson County Sherrif’s Office found the farm in:
- Piles of feces and pools of urine in many cases so profound that the animals are sitting or lying in it.
- Impossible to determine sex of many of the rabbits due to severely matted and filthy coats.
- Unacceptably high ammonia levels caused by excessive urine.
- Many of the rabbit’s coats are so severely matted that they cannot urinate or defacate without extreme difficulty.
- There is a lack of food and water, resulting in “terrible dehydration” which is evidenced by “tacky gums.”
- 75% more rabbits housed in the shed than the space allows.
Bell’s attorney is claiming that Bell’s rabbits should be considered livestock, not pets, and that Jefferson County Sherrif’s are incorrectly enforcing standards for domesticated animals.
WFT? Livestock or not, it isn't right to treat an animal like this.
[image via Jefferson County Sheriff's Office]
Tags: animal cruelty, animals, bunny, farm, rabbit, sheriff, terrible