This year, give your Valentine lots of dark chocolates. First you’ll need a colorful red gift bag with hearts all over it. Then start shopping for a variety of items which contain at least 70% or higher of cocoa. This is the part of chocolates which contains healthy ingredients.
Why dark chocolate instead of either white or milk chocolate?
Researchers have found that frostbite and hypothermia are not the only dangers for those who exercise, hike and play outdoors in the winter. Surprisingly, there is an increased risk for dehydration! You see, when the weather is cold, unlike hot weather or after sweaty workouts, people do not feel thirsty. How is water from our body lost? Through breathing. We do not sense why water intake may be needed because sweat evaporates beneath clothing in cold, dry air.
Since our bodies are made up of about two thirds water, it only takes a few percent of water loss to become dehydrated. It is interesting to note that our body relies on the sensation of thirst to maintain its fluid balance. The key to be adequately hydrated is to drink plenty of water, especially when outdoors in cold weather. Clear urine is a good indicator which shows you are not at risk of becoming dehydrated.
Lisa DeFazio’s a leading nutrition expert and a Master’s degree level Registered Dietitian, so be sure to check out her website and follow her on Twitter for more tips and videos — and if U wanna know more about dehydration OR anything else, U can always email us at Questions@FitPerez.com!!
Sometimes you need to just get your dip on!!
Of course, you need to make sure you aren't shoveling a bunch of unhealthy things into your mouth with the dip on them — that's counter productive to having a healthy dip! So, make wise choices!!
Here's the healthy Greek yogurt loaded with nutrients, though:
Ingredients: 2 bunches fresh spinach, ½ cup water, 3 tbs. canola oil, ½ cup onion chopped, 2 cups Greek yogurt, 1 tsp. salt, ¼ tsp. black pepper and ¼ tsp. garlic powder.
Preparation: Wash spinach, drain and chop into coarse pieces. Cook in sauce pan with water for 5 min. Drain, then chill. In a small pan, simmer onions in oil, then add spinach. After onions are cooked, add yogurt, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Stir and chill. Serve with pita bread, carrot sticks or whole grain crackers.
Benefits of Spinach are: loaded with iron, vitamin K, vitamin C and potassium
Reasons Greek yogurt is good for you are: excellent source of protein, calcium and potassium
- Lisa DeFazio’s a leading nutrition expert and a Master’s degree level Registered Dietitian, so be sure to check out her website and follow her on Twitter for more tips and videos — and if U wanna know more about dips OR anything else, U can always email us at Questions@FitPerez.com!!
Who's ready for some football?!!
Not you?! Oh no! What's wrong??
You're having guests over but don't know what to serve?? Well never fear! Lisa DeFazio is here!
Super Bowl Menu (serves 8):
- Diablo Avocado Dip
- Baked corn and and potato chips
- Imitation crab dip
- Variety of crackers
- Marinated white pinto bean salad
- Baked Garlic Chicken Wings and Drumettes
- Frozen Cherry Yogurt Pie
- Exotic Super Bowl Bubbly Punch
Avocado Diablo Dip
Ingredients: 5-6 large ripe avocados; 2-3 ripe limes; 2 Serrano Chile; Three vine ripened tomatoes; ½ bunch rinsed cilantro; 1 red onion; Salt to taste
Preparation: Mash and mix peeled ripe avocados with juice of limes, 2 diced Serrano Chiles (with seeds removed), diced tomatoes, finely chopped cilantro, I diced red onion and salt to taste. Chill before serving with dip chips. * Be sure to wash your hands after handling Chiles, because they can irritate your eyes.
Everyone knows they should be eating vegetables! But sometimes veggies just seem so… boring.
How to make vegetables more exciting to eat:
1. Buy the frozen steam bags of veggies,they cook in the microwave in 5 minutes
2. Drizzle olive oil and garlic salt over steamed broccoli
3. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over steamed veggies
4. Order pizza with light cheese, extra sauce and veggie toppings
5. Buy a low calorie ranch dip and snack on veggies and dip
6. Place steamed veggies in a bowl, add a slice of low fat cheese, melt in microwave
7. Buy precut veggies at the market and keep in the fridge ready to eat
Remember you will not gain weight from eating too many vegetables!
- Lisa DeFazio’s a leading nutrition expert and a Master’s degree level Registered Dietitian, so be sure to check out her website and follow her on Twitter for more tips and videos — and if U wanna know more about veggies OR anything else, U can always email us at Questions@FitPerez.com!!
Food is nourishment, remember that! Here are some tips that will improve your diet, health and mental well-being when it comes to HOW you eat:
1. Listen to your body. Take a minute to determine if you are really hungry, just bored, or thirsty instead of hungry. Have something to drink before reaching for food.
2. Eat slowly. It takes a few minutes for your brain to tell your body that it has had enough food, so stop eating before you are totally stuffed and uncomfortable!
3. Chew your food thoroughly and enjoy mealtimes. Chew your food slowly, and taste every bite. We often rush through our meals, forgetting to actually taste the flavors and feel the textures of our food.
4. Eat with others whenever possible. Eating in front of the TV or computer often leads to mindless overeating.
5. Avoid eating too late at night. Eating when you’re most active and giving your digestive system a break overnight helps regulate weight.
- Lisa DeFazio’s a leading nutrition expert and a Master’s degree level Registered Dietitian, so be sure to check out her website and follow her on Twitter for more tips and videos — and if U wanna know more about eating OR anything else, U can always email us at Questions@FitPerez.com!!
A survey of more than 200 registered dietitians, conducted by Pollock Communications, a health and wellness communications firm based in New York City, revealed five top diet and lifestyle trends that will “make news and be on consumers’ minds” in 2013.
Trend 1: Natural and simple meals with few ingredients are in. Low-fat and low-carb are out.
The focus is whole foods, fewer preservatives and processed foods. Although some low fat and low carb products are fine, read the label, as they may contain excessive sugar, salt and fat.
Trend 2: To lose weight or adapt a healthier lifestyle, more consumers will look to the wheat belly/gluten free approach, as well as commercial diet programs.
A Gluten free diet can really benefit those with specific medical conditions, such as celiac disease. Some choose to adapt the diet without a specific medical condition. The gluten-free approach doesn’t really benefit the general population. If anything a gluten free diet may be too limited and restrictive and the person without allergies will get frustrated. The gluten free diet is designed for individuals with celiac disease or gluten intolerance.
Regarding commercial diet programs, I encourage people to do what it takes for them to be successful with weight loss and health goals. Commercial programs provide education, accountability and support from others going through the same thing. Individuals motivate one another and since you pay for the program you are more likely to show up and follow it.