Huge update in Jonathan Majors‘ criminal case.
As we previously reported, the 33-year-old actor was arrested over the weekend for misdemeanor assault, aggravated harassment, attempted assault, and harassment after getting into a domestic dispute with a 30-year-old woman — believed to be his girlfriend.
Jonathan allegedly got into an argument with the woman during a taxi ride home on Friday night after she saw another woman texting him and attempted to look at his phone. Things quickly escalated, as she claimed the Marvel star grabbed her hand and hit her. He then allegedly put his hands around her neck during the altercation.
The following day, the NYPD said they received a call from an apartment near the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan. When officers arrived at the residence, their “preliminary investigation determined” Jonathan was “involved in a domestic dispute,” and they took him into custody. Meanwhile, the woman was hospitalized with “minor injuries to her head and neck.”
Jonathan vehemently denied the allegations over the weekend. His lawyer, Priya Chaudhry, even insisted he was “completely innocent,” claiming at the time there was evidence to prove it — such as video footage from inside the car where the incident happened and “two written statements from the woman recanting these allegations.” The attorney didn’t drop any of the alleged proof at the time. But now, she’s released some receipts she believes prove Jonathan’s innocence.
Chaudhry claimed to TMZ on Thursday that hours after his arrest, the alleged victim sent several text messages to the Creed III star “admitting that she was the one who used physical force against him” and making clear she did not want to press charges against him. According to the screenshots of the texts obtained by the outlet, the woman told Jonathan she would “make sure nothing happens” with the arrest, writing:
“Please let me know you’re okay when you get this. They assured me that you won’t be charged. They said they had to arrest you as protocol when they saw the injuries on me and they knew we had a fight. I’m so angry that they did. And I’m sorry you’re in this position. Will make sure nothing happens about this. I told them it was my fault for trying to grab your phone. I only just got out of hospital. Just call me when you’re out.”
She then added in a follow-up:
“I love you.”
Roughly three hours later, the woman reached out again to Jonathan. In the lengthy text, she insisted that the alleged strangulation “did not occur” during their fight:
“They just called again to check on me and I reiterated how this was not an attack and they do not have my blessing on any charges being placed. I read the paper they gave me about strangulation and I said point blank this did not occur and should be removed immediately. The judge is definitely going to be told this. She ensured this to me.”
She continued, claiming the original 911 call to the Chelsea apartment was about her fainting — and not because of the alleged altercation:
“I know you have the best team and there’s nothing to worry about I just want you to know that I’m doing all I can my end. I also said to tell the judge to know that the origin of the call was to do with me collapsing and passing out and your worry as my partner due to our communication prior. Out of care. She promised all will be relayed.”
Hmm. This woman confirms they got into a fight, and that she was left injured to the point where she needed to be hospitalized the next day? We understand that she later blamed herself for the altercation, all because she was “trying to grab” his phone. But does this exonerate the star in your eyes? None of this seems in line with the charges…
Chaudhry told TMZ she handed over the messages to law enforcement. And at this time, no other evidence has been released. We’ll have to see what happens next. Thoughts, Perezcious readers? Let us know in the comments below.
If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic violence, help is available. Consider calling the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 800-799-7233, or text START to 88788, or go to https://www.thehotline.org/.
[Image via Jimmy Kimmel Live/YouTube]